From the Newsgroup...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: From the Newsgroup...
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:30:12 +0100

Hi All, My name is Sam Skillern, and along with some colleauges, we are
developing a Home Automation System, which controls everything, the
lighting, the alarms, the garden lighting, audio, phone systems, etc. It is
intended to be run from a few pcs hidden within the site, somewhere along
with all the circuit boxes.
The way we have designed the system is to assign each device a 8 bit binary
code ie 00000101 may be bathroom light 3. We then send each binary signal to
the parralell ports on the PC, so 0 to Pin 1, 0 to Pin 2, 1 to Pin 8 etc. We
have then built a decoder which takes the first 3 Binary digits (the devices
group) and then decoder B takes the next 5 digits and using complex logic
circuits the system knows which output to send a 1 to.
Each light switch in the house is replaced with one of our own. Instead of
the switch directly controlling the light in that room, it sends a pulse
back to the encoder which then re-emits the signal to the decoder allowing
that light to be switched on. All the switches and devices are fitted with
Bi-Stable latches allowing the first signal from the pc to turn on the light
and the second signal to switch it off. The computer records which state it
is in and then logs it so the software can stop you turning the light off it
is already off. The pcs video output is routed throughout the house, onto tv
screens and remote radio keyboards allow the user to control system settings
and program times into the pc from the comfort of the living room. Voice
Control is something for ELA version 2. :) The house can easily be wired up
using the Cat5 Cable System.
Many other systems are controlled via the PC, such as the alarm which sends
a Text Message to the owners mobile phone to alert him that the alarm has
been breached. Or automatically dialling a specific number and playing a
pre-recorder message.

We are however looking for some assistance with the design of the system we
have lovingly called ELA. (Electrical Living Automation). Any ideas, past
work, circuits, deisgn tips, problems, and so forth.
Any software developers who are keen to help would also be appreciated, If
you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me on
superherolike@xxxxxxx where i will be happy to ask the team.

Thanks everyone,

Sam Skillern
ELA Marketing and Systems Developer