Re: Can someone please explain?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Can someone please explain?
  • From: "nadzukir" <nadzukir@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:24:33 -0000

OK I will give that a try. Will need to play with it more tommorrow.

The funny thing is the problem is only one way... I have a CM12U
plugged in right next to the lamp module. Im testing Xbot under linux
with the CM12U and it can control both lights fine.

I would have thought if it were a noise problem it would be both
ways. However you may be right as the TM13 is in the living room
where all the AV hardware is. Hopefully the kitchen isnt a problem as
it is on its own ring....

Thanks for your input anyway. Will let you know how I get on....

Cheers
Claude

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@m...> wrote:
> nadzukir wrote:
> > I tried and it only seems to work when it is on the same ring...
> > So why is it an issue what ring the modules are on?
>
> Could be as simple as distance. Let us say that the TM13 is at the
maximum
> distance on ring 1 and the module to be controller is at the maximum
> distance on ring 2, you may be at or close to the limit of a decent
signal.
> Add in the CM12 at the "halfway" point, and you are
effectively "boosting"
> the signal. Moving the TM13 will help to see if this is an issue.
If it is
> the case, then an X10 booster at the correct location would address
it if
> relocating the TM13 to a more central point does not fix it.
>
> There are various other possibilities such as noise on the line
between the
> devices. The test for this is to unplug *every* single appliance on
both
> rings and see if the problem still occurs. If it goes away, then
plug things
> back in until it breaks. (lamps and "simple" appliances are usually
safe,
> kitchen appliances and AV hardware are the usual cause of problems).
> Assuming you have two rings (downstairs and upstairs) and you have
> appliances in the usual location, this is likely to be the cause.
>
> While you are playing, it is a good idea to do a few simple tests
of the
> circuits to make sure there is no break in either ring. Although a
broken
> ring will still work effectively, it may increase the chance of
noise
> disrupting signals. (It should be fixed in any case if the ring is
broken)

> HTH
>
> Mark.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor