RE: Re: Can someone please explain?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Can someone please explain?
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:50:30 +0100

nadzukir wrote:
> I tried and it only seems to work when it is on the same ring...
> So why is it an issue what ring the modules are on?

Could be as simple as distance. Let us say that the TM13 is at the maximum
distance on ring 1 and the module to be controller is at the maximum
distance on ring 2, you may be at or close to the limit of a decent signal.
Add in the CM12 at the "halfway" point, and you are effectively
"boosting"
the signal. Moving the TM13 will help to see if this is an issue. If it is
the case, then an X10 booster at the correct location would address it if
relocating the TM13 to a more central point does not fix it.

There are various other possibilities such as noise on the line between the
devices. The test for this is to unplug *every* single appliance on both
rings and see if the problem still occurs. If it goes away, then plug
things
back in until it breaks. (lamps and "simple" appliances are
usually safe,
kitchen appliances and AV hardware are the usual cause of problems).
Assuming you have two rings (downstairs and upstairs) and you have
appliances in the usual location, this is likely to be the cause.

While you are playing, it is a good idea to do a few simple tests of the
circuits to make sure there is no break in either ring. Although a broken
ring will still work effectively, it may increase the chance of noise
disrupting signals. (It should be fixed in any case if the ring is broken)

HTH

Mark.