Re: Wiring light switches...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Wiring light switches...
  • From: "psghome2002" <psghome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:19:33 -0000

Ken,

What X10 command do you use - I've used the standard ON command and
the 'Set X10 device directly to' command. Both seem to take the same
amount of time.

I've got a pretty big setup here and am limited by the number of
zones or inputs to Comfort / HomeVision. I've currently got 32
Comfort zones active and am planning to connect my A/V matrix
switcher and mic mixer logic terminals to HV. That equals a lot of
inputs, more than I've got even with the expansion board connected :(

I was trying to keep the cost as low as I can (even then I've spent
way over =A315K so far!) and using Comfort for the dual purpose of
alarm and lighting triggering is ideal (and it works well apart from
the speed). However, I need to check exactly how long it takes
Comfort to send the serial report to HV (no ACE in the loop for
this - a direct connection from Comfort to a second serial port on
HV).

I'll try the direct PIR - HV input and see if this improves the time.

Cheers,

Paul.

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@b...> wrote: > Paul,

> I think your problem with response times could be down to the way
you
> are getting HV to send the on command. I have PIRs connected
directly to
> HV, no Comfort in the way or a PC, you walk into the room and the
lights
> come on in well under a second, in fact it's almost instantaneous, Phil
> has seen this in action too, he can confirm this if he reads it.
>
> In many rooms, such as my AV room or the bathroom, all I need to
do is
> wave at the PIR and the lights come on. I have said before, I
rarely
> touch a light switch in the house, or an X10/momentary switch,
virtually
> everything is either off a PIR or done by IR in some cases.
>
> Having said that, I have noticed a huge difference between
different
> PIRs and, additionally if HV is stuffed full of conditions to
check then
> the response time drops. Also if you read the command to Comfort,
then
> to ACE and then to HV then, inevitably, there will be a huge delay in
> that and one I would not find acceptable never mind SWMBO! ;)
>
> Not having Comfort (yet) I've never tried routing PIRs through
another
> machine and, even if/when I install Comfort I would not choose to
go
> down that route simply due to the problems you describe.
>
> K.

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk