RE: RE: Shuttle & via epia

Marcus,

> on the internet access box.. the current PC (AMD1.4) seems to
> have a hard
> time
> running peer-peer and writing a CD etc at the same time.

Well it would do if you're burning CD's.
If you have SCSI devices, they will talk directly to each other and leave
the processor pretty much alone.
IF you have IDE/EIDE as is more commonly the case, the CPU does get involved
and you could be soaking up somwething like 30% of your processor whilst
burning, so no wonder performance suffers :)

> I sort of thought it would be more than good enough for
> streaming the mp3
> files etc, but it could also be used as a central CD-Writer /
> player as
> well.

See my comments above - if you are burning CD's then the speed of the system
will be effected, eg because the CD wants a piece of data NOW from the start
of the disc, but someone is streaming an MP3 from another part of the disc.
The CD needs a constant stream of data at a fairly steady rate, which is
much more difficult than the burst rates you will achieve under more normal
loads.....

> > The standard CPU fan that comes with them is a but noisy,
> so I used the
> one
> > that came with the Celery - which is fine as long as you
> don't want to
> > install a PCI card in the box - which I don't anyway.
>
> ..is that simply because of space considerations ?

Yes.  The standard fan is about 2 inches high and directly in the path of a
full height PCI card.
The one supplied with the shuttle is 1/2 the height and, I assume, runs much
faster to compensate - hence the noise.

> > The newer SV50/55(?) is much quieter apparently, and can take 'real'
> cpu's.
> > Either of the mobos should be fine for what you want to do
> - it's just a
> > question of which processor to go for......
> > Can't comment on DivX as am not into that, though I expect
> the beefier the
> > better really....
>
> Any idea how well (i.e. grunt) the integrated VIA processors
> compare to Intel's ?

Not very?

I haven't got a via eden, though some here do and may be able to comment.
Also try the usual hardware review sites for benchmark testing.

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
             Regulated by the Financial Services Authority