RE: Some DVD bargains if you're interested, including DVDR!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Some DVD bargains if you're interested, including DVDR!
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 13:05:53 +0100

Yeah Jason I read loads about this stuff too and concluded that no-one
really knows which format is better, it appears to be horses for courses when it comes to PC drives. Although, in fairness, there are several
like the new Sony which can read/write both formats AIUI.

When I looked at this a while back the Philips system claimed 99%
compatibility with any DVD player out there while the -R/RW was touting
a figure closer to 80% IIRC. It turns out that Philips were being a
little over-enthusiastic with their claims but I read Barry Fox saying
that it was about 90% compatible and he reckoned, at that time, that
this would become the consumer standard, whether that translates to the
IT industry is yet to be seen. The DVD Forum set the standard for the
one that used a caddy (Matsushita I think) but Philips and a few others
were not happy with that and decided to go with their own system as,
with a caddy, there was virtually no chance of backwards compatibility!
Also the + formats have become the de facto standard for the MAC which
is *the* machine for video editing so I suppose there's something in
that too.

In the consumer market Philips is the only manufacturer to be actively
pushing any player and consumers are expecting DVD to replace VHS and
that is the big gamble that Philips is taking with this product. Now
however, at this kind of price, it is out of the luxury segment of the
market and affordable to a huge range of customers and I honestly think
that we will see a huge increase in DVDR across the board.

As for media, yes -R wins there! On the -RW/+RW discs though there seems very little difference between them as things stand, no doubt that'll
change but which way is anyone's guess right now. My money is on +RW
though as, assuming Philips move bucket loads of these players, media
prices will fall in time.

ATEOTD, either standard could fail as the market is still young but I
agree, I to think both will be around for a while.

K.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/te= rms/

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""