Re: OT - DVD writers

Ray

If you are looking for a backup device then I would recommend DVD RAM.

The costs of the RAM drives are down to around =A3150
The RAM disk can hold up to 9.4GB (double sided)

The cost of the RAM disk is much more - like around =A312 - but absolutely<= BR> ideal for backups and archiving
And of course it is RAM and so can be used many many times (unlike DVD R which is write once only and not multisession)

Not all DVD roms will read RAM disks  - the later Hitachi ones do thou= gh.

Some say it is a dead format - but Americans and Japanese use them

In the UK there are home DVD RAM recorders coming out.

I would not recommend RAM for backing up movies etc as
a) disks cost more than move (although rewriteable)
b) not all players can play DVD RAM

Hope that helps

Umar