Re: TTL SPDIF -> TOSLINK

Mark

I've got one of the these in my PC, mounted on the front panel so I can just
plug the toslink cable from it into the minidisc recorder. Works like a
dream (and has done for a few years). I got mine from Simon Corner
(http://www.sc-elec.demon.co.uk/) who was really helpful to an electronic
numbnut like me.

The home for all this sort of stuff is
http://www.minidisc.org/acc_table.html.

"Mark Marooth" <MMarooth@xxxxxxx> wrote in message

> I've come across a couple of circuits which use Sharp/Toshiba TOSLINK
> modules to
> take the TTL SPDIF output from a CD-ROM drive and output as Optical, has
> anyone
> else
> had any experience with these modules or are there any suggestions for
> pre-built
> devices to do the same.
>

> What I want to do is this:
>
> As an adjunct to my Whole House Audio plans which comprise Veronica FM
> Transmitter hooked up to MP3 Juke and FM Receivers around the house, I
> want to
> distribute a higher quality  signal to a couple of rooms.
>
> What I need to know is what is the 'practical' optical fibre length
> before the
> signal needs to be re-amplified.  I worked on a secure fibre optic
> network in Oz
> years ago and I know that that fibre ran for miles between repeaters,
> would the
> same apply with TOSLINK ?
>
> I'm assuming that most sound cards will have  a digital TTL source
> somewhere
> other than perhaps older cards so it should be no problem to lift the
> Digital
> TTL signal and convert to TOSLINK thus doing away with the DAC and the
> analogue
> output.
>
> I'm also thinking that if this idea is a goer, it should not be that
> difficult
> to build a TOSLINK distribution box i.e. 1 optical input and say 8
> optical
> outputs.
>

> Anyone got any thoughts, am I wasting my time, has it all been done
> before ?
>

> Cheers,
>

> Mark
>
> New Veronica arrives today !
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=226014.2032696.3508022.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705
> 041992:HM/A=1000239/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=102510446
> 8%3eM=226014.2032696.3508022.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705041992:HM/A=10002
> 39/R=1>

> <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=226014.2032696.3508022.1829184/D=egrou
> pmail/S=1705041992:HM/A=1000239/rand=529592529>

> <http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
> Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx

> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .