TTL SPDIF -> TOSLINK

I've come across a couple of circuits which use Sharp/Toshiba TOSLINK modules to
take the TTL SPDIF output from a CD-ROM drive and output as Optical, has anyone
else
had any experience with these modules or are there any suggestions for pre-built
devices to do the same.

What I want to do is this:

As an adjunct to my Whole House Audio plans which comprise Veronica FM
Transmitter hooked up to MP3 Juke and FM Receivers around the house, I want to
distribute a higher quality  signal to a couple of rooms.

What I need to know is what is the 'practical' optical fibre length before the
signal needs to be re-amplified.  I worked on a secure fibre optic network in Oz
years ago and I know that that fibre ran for miles between repeaters, would the
same apply with TOSLINK ?

I'm assuming that most sound cards will have  a digital TTL source somewhere
other than perhaps older cards so it should be no problem to lift the Digital
TTL signal and convert to TOSLINK thus doing away with the DAC and the analogue
output.

I'm also thinking that if this idea is a goer, it should not be that difficult
to build a TOSLINK distribution box i.e. 1 optical input and say 8 optical
outputs.

Anyone got any thoughts, am I wasting my time, has it all been done before ?

Cheers,

Mark

New Veronica arrives today !

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor