Electronics help & Light beam sensors

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Electronics help & Light beam sensors
  • From: "psghome2002" <psghome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:57:48 -0000

I'm trying to make up a combined parking sensor and garage door
safety switch to be fitted to the inside of the door frame and
looking across the opening (double garage width). I imagine the
output to be linked to HomeVision which, in turn, will allow my
Comfort system to close the door (or not) depending on any number of
factors I choose to program. I'll also have a couple of high
intensity LEDs (red and green) mounted in a box on the far end of
the garage wall so I can tell when the cars are far enough in to
close the door (or if there's an obstruction).

The signalling, interface to the electric garge door and LED's are
pretty simple and not a problem but the light beam sensor is. I
bought one of those Velleman kit form beam break sensors that uses
two IR LED's (transmit) and a single receive LED. Unfortunately the
range is about half of what I need. I'm also wondering if IR beam is
the best technology to use (poss interference from remotes, sunlight
etc)?

The transmit circuit looks pretty simple with just a few resistors,
capacitors and three transistors. Might it be possible to boost the
transmit power enough using this circuit, or should I look for
another sensor - I've had a look at what RS offer but most of them
are pretty expensive and only a few offer the range I need.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor