RE: Re: DIY PC

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: DIY PC
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:51:03 -0000

From: musashi1977uk [mailto:musashi1977uk@xxxxxxx]=20
Sent: 24 January 2002 21:47
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: DIY PC

Tim, re our previous discussion on Corsair v Crucial Andy has=20
actually posted a review of  the 2 lots of memory on OC website at=20=20=20
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?
postid=3D974616#post974616
I think the crunch factor in the whole thing is that Crucial prices=20
have substantially risen and Corsair has actually come down in price=20
so the differential between the two is far less. This being the case=20
I would buy the Corsair (=A3106.50  for 256mb 2700) over the Crucial=20
(=A353.30 for 256 mb 2100) if I were looking to seriously Overclock,=20
although Andy did  get 192 mhz fsb stable with the Crucial !!! The=20
Crunch here is really do you want to overclock if so buy the Corsair,=20
if you dont spend your money on upgrading the processor from a 1500XP=20
(=A392.90) to a XP1900 (=A3164.60). The choice is yours, but personally=20
having spent the past 18 months running overclocked processors,=20
getting that Duron 700 to 1 gig and getting my igig axia to 1.5 gig,=20
I feel that the time has come where there are few applications out=20
there that will take full advantage of the the processing capability=20
of an XP1500 let alone a XP1900. Personally I have found little that=20
taxes my axia currently. Probably the biggest bottlenecks in my=20
system are my aging Geforce 2 mx (dh) (I keep it cos I run 2 monitors=20
off it and rarely play counterstrike these days) and my 30 gig IBM=20
GXP75 HD.
Anyway read the review it is quite interesting

205 MHz FSB - no wonder he told me to buy the stuff. If I can get an XP
1500+ running at 2 gig I'll be really impressed (but I doubt it with air
cooling and without doing the voltage mod) The combination of the Alpha
cooler and aluminium case with 4 fans should keep I reasonably cool. Out
of interest what sort of CPU temp under load should I be looking for?

The only really CPU intensive program I run these days (apart from the
very occasional game of Wolfenstein) is a real-time simulator for model
helicopter flying, which in addition to using a fully rendered 3D
environment at 1280x1024x32, actually uses fairly sophisticated
modelling equations (simulates vortices on the blade tips etc). ATM
(PIII 800EB and GF 2 GTS) I have to turn most of the graphics options
right down, and fly in a fairly sparse environment in order to get
decent frame rates. I'll be beta testing the next generation later in
the year, and I'm sure that will be even more demanding.

Once I've put it together (probably this time next week as I want to run
Super PI overnight to determine that the fastest settings don't generate
any memory errors) I'll post some 3DMark scores running at different FSB
settings which should be fairly representative.

Tim