Re: DIY PC

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: DIY PC
  • From: "musashi1977uk" <musashi1977uk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:47:19 -0000

Tim, re our previous discussion on Corsair v Crucial Andy has=20
actually posted a review of  the 2 lots of memory on OC website at=20=20=20
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?
postid=3D974616#post974616
I think the crunch factor in the whole thing is that Crucial prices=20
have substantially risen and Corsair has actually come down in price=20
so the differential between the two is far less. This being the case=20
I would buy the Corsair (=A3106.50  for 256mb 2700) over the Crucial=20
(=A353.30 for 256 mb 2100) if I were looking to seriously Overclock,=20
although Andy did  get 192 mhz fsb stable with the Crucial !!! The=20
Crunch here is really do you want to overclock if so buy the Corsair,=20
if you dont spend your money on upgrading the processor from a 1500XP=20
(=A392.90) to a XP1900 (=A3164.60). The choice is yours, but personally=20
having spent the past 18 months running overclocked processors,=20
getting that Duron 700 to 1 gig and getting my igig axia to 1.5 gig,=20
I feel that the time has come where there are few applications out=20
there that will take full advantage of the the processing capability=20
of an XP1500 let alone a XP1900. Personally I have found little that=20
taxes my axia currently. Probably the biggest bottlenecks in my=20
system are my aging Geforce 2 mx (dh) (I keep it cos I run 2 monitors=20
off it and rarely play counterstrike these days) and my 30 gig IBM=20
GXP75 HD.
Anyway read the review it is quite interesting

Simon Rafferty