Overclocking

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Overclocking
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:50:05 -0000

I realised I made some passing references to overclocking in my last post about mainboards without explaining myself.

Both Intel and AMD use the same method for setting the speed of the processor. The processor has a built in multiplier which is locked (it can be altered on AMD processors, but certainly on the XP Athlons it involves some rather delicate surgery using conductive fluid, and of course doesn’t do your warranty an awful lot of good).

P4s and current Athlons are rated for speed based on a Front Side Bus (FSB) speed of 133MHz. The FSB is the bus which links processor with main memory. AGP and PCI bus speeds are usually set as a multiple (or fraction) of FSB speeds. The easy way to overclocking is to increase the FSB speed using a suitable motherboard. Most modern motherboards allow the FSB and the AGP and PCI bus speeds to be set within the bios.

If only it were that simple!

You’ll need memory that is capable of running at higher speeds. Fortunately Corsair (www.corsairmicro.com) (part of the same group as Micron) have just released 2700 DDR Ram which has a design speed of 166MHz (they already produce 2400 with a design speed of 150MHz). Overclockers (www.overclockers.co.uk) expect to have it in stock in a couple of days or so. It already comes with a heat sink attached.

As you will be running the processor faster than its design speed you’ll need to cool it properly. I’ve had a lot of success with the Alpha range of aftermarket heat sinks. Diehard overclockers actually use Freon based liquid cooling systems which actually cool the processor to below 0 while it is running under load!

You’ll also need to increase the core voltage the CPU runs at – be careful with this one, set it too high and you’ll fry your processor!

Once you’ve set the new parameters in the bios, you’ll need to run a torture test on your PC to make sure that everything is as it should be. Running 3DMark2001 (http://www.madonion.com/) continuously for a couple of hours is good enough. If the PC locks up or the textures start ripping then you’ve pushed it too far. There are others available but things have moved on a bit since I built my current PC so I’m a bit out of touch. I’ll post a list once I get up to date.

It’s important to use a monitoring program to keep an idea on the temperature/fan operation/voltages etc. Motherboard Monitor is a freeware alternative to the programs which ship with the boards (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/). It has some useful features which allow you to force a shutdown if certain parameters are reached.

What’s the point? Take the example of the Athlon XP 1500+. It has a design speed of 1.33 GHz (10 x 133). If you go the whole hog and get the bus up to 166MHz then it will run at 1.66GHz – the same speed as the XP 2000+ but at a cost of 110 quid rather than 270 – plus it will actually run faster due to higher memory bandwidth.

Is it worth it? I actually enjoy the process of getting there, so I suppose it is J

Tim.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!