RFD: Replacement mailing list WAS Re: F*ck*ng Powerhouse shitbags...

On Monday 21 January 2002 12:07, you wrote:

> Hmmm. Only took 16 days to arrive. Yahoo must be improving ;-)

In the past, a bunch of people have offered to set up an alternate mailing
list, and others ahve protested on the grounds of liking all the yahoo web
interface cobblers (you may already be detecting slight bias ;).

Surely it is possible for us to have both, with crossposting between the
two?

That way, people who like the yahoo web interface cobblers can subscribe to
yahoo, and people who prefer timely emails unencumbered by kilobytes of
yahoo
shite can subscribe to the private list.

I have in mind a box running a mailing list, with a mail account subscribed
to the yahoo list. So a post to yahoo takes the following form:

1) post to yahoo
2) mail account receives yahoo mail
3) yahoo shite is filtered out, header added to prevent msg looping
4) post is forwarded to private list

and similar for the reverse direction.

The only drawback that I can think of is that threads may become a little
confusing to follow if half the respondents are using the yahoo list, and
half the private one, but then yahoo's like that anyway.

In the future, all the funky web shennanigans could be migrated to the
private list, until we are at a position where most people are prepared to
use that instead of yahoo, and the yahoo list would remain for
archival/attracting new members/publicity etc etc with all the actual
discussion taking place on the new list.

Whaddyall think?

ant
--
ant@xxxxxxx                   /\/\                  www.ant.org