RE: Wireless LAN question - update

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Wireless LAN question - update
  • From: "Justin" <justin@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 22:44:18 -0000

Title: Message
I know there are a few WAP11 owners on the list so I hope this latest update is helpful.

There is a new firmware 1.4i1 here: http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=11
SNMP now works again.

With this new firmware installed I have also performed the power mod/hack. This does work!!! (is supposed to work with Netgear ME102 as well)
See here: http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/Wap11Hack NOTE: the first link for the Amtel utility ('download this') downloads a duff .exe. Use the other link.

This is also worth a look to: http://www.netstumbler.com/ try a 'before & after' you'll be surprised.

Another useful option in the Amtel config utility is the ability to turn off  SSID broadcasting. From a security point of view this is good. Don't forget to re-configure your clients if previously the ESSID was set to 'any'.

Justin.

P.S Arse around with your WAP11 at you own risk. Dont blame me if you break it etc.