RE: ADSL - connecting / Distributing

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: ADSL - connecting / Distributing
  • From: "Lee Varga" <lee@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 22:49:45 -0000

Title: RE: [ukha_d] ADSL - connecting / Distributing
Some thoughts...

o Get ADSL, it's superb, £40/month is steep, but in two weeks you'll groan when you use dial-up at a friends house.
o The Alcatel frog/stingray/modem is a piece of junk, forget it.
o The Vigor USB router tries, but it can't fix the above.
o Save yourself a the effort/time/trouble - go to www.solwise.com get an Asustek AAM6000.
o It installs in 5mins (literally) and stays up for weeks (two yr old daughters permitting)
o XP firewall is OK, but only one way - incoming, it doesn't stop outgoing nasties.
o So stick with the latest version of ZoneAlarm.
o The Vigor doesn't really have a firewall, it's just NAT with portforwarding - same as the Asustek.
o That said the only things hitting the ZA log on my server are  "(ICMP Unreachable)" msgs - harmless.

o As final thought, if you have a server that's powered up but doing nothing 99% of the time, would you give a thought to running the United Devices client software from www.uniteddevices.com. It's a small program thats looking for a cure for cancer (yes, really). Full details on the site.

 Subject: RE: [ukha_d] ADSL - connecting / Distributing

 Let me know how you get on - I'm just sitting on the fence at the moment myself - in fact emailed Eclipse this morning myself for details.  Interested in the splitter bit as well, as I have a similar setup as yourself.  Good luck.

Steve