RE: Automating a thermostat

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Automating a thermostat
  • From: "Ian B" <Ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:45:18 -0000

I have done exactly this with a TX15B replacing a normal mains voltage
mechanical thermostat. I mounted the black box of the thermostat under the
stairs and out of sight. This is connected to the replacement thermostat
which is mounted where the original was. This now just left actually
switching the mains voltage to the heating system. I made a little
veroboard
unit which has a mains rated relay being switched by 12 volts which in turn
is switched by the relays on the TX15B.

I actually have my central heating on all the time day and night, summer
and
winter. Heat is now controlled entirely by HV and the TX15B. Wifey loves it
as she can now turn on the heating from bed with a remote control.

I am happy to provide photos and whatever help I can if you go down this
route. It was not a bad job and all I needed was a mains test screwdriver,
multimeter for 12 volt detection and drill etc. for mounting.

Ian