Re: Control MP3 source WAS Single Board Computer

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Control MP3 source WAS Single Board Computer
  • From: "andy_powell_is" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:14:23 -0000

Neil,

try http://www.siteplayer.com

Andy

--- In ukha_d@y..., Frost Neil <neil.frost@i...> wrote:
> Surely would it not be possible to rig some sort of interface that=20
would
> work on an lcd panel a couple of micro switches for Play, Next,=20
Stop etc.
> The display would show what was playing and it would then be=20
connected to a
> web server to control the audio, or am I just dreaming???????
>=20
some=20
scrap
> >metal/wood/MDF or buy a generic case from somewhere and you have
a=20
machine
> >for less than =A3200 which will probably do video as well!
>=20
> You can buy a motherboard and 1Ghz processor from eBuyer.com for=20
=A380! - and
> the Mobo has a soundcard built in.
> And then add any other components you need - 40Gb Hdd, Memory and=20
Graphics
> card (with TV out if you wanted) and you still would have change=20
for =A3200!
>=20=20
> Or you could try and buy a Rio DAR from Insight or similar for=20
around =A3157
> :-)
>=20=20
> Regards
>=20=20
> Daniel
>=20
>=20
to=20
come up
> with
> > something that will do something similar.  What I thought is if
I=20
get a
> SBC
> > with onboard LAN and sound then I can hook up some powered=20
speakers to it
> > and have the same thing as a DDAR (tell me if there is a
serious=20
flaw in
> the
> > logic) playing mp3's from my server.
>=20
> None that I can think of.  Sounds like a great idea.
>=20
> > My question is anyone know what kind of power supply a SBC=20
needs?  Is it a
> > wallwart or what?  I am after the most unobtrusive way to do
this.
>=20
> Normally a 5vdc supply - easy to find.
>=20
> > Would I need a PIII or would a 486 be enough?
>=20
> A 486 will play MP3s using an OS like DOS or Linux, but you'll need=20
a P100
> really for Windows-based players.
>=20
> > Anyone know of a cheep place to buy a
> > SBC from?  What operating system do these SBC use?
>=20
> You can load any OS on them - they are just small PCs.  Myself, I'd=20
save the
> money and just get a small conventional motherboard.  A motherboard=20
with
> everything onboard shouldn't set you back more than =A380, and a
> CPU/PSU/HDD/RAM would cost another =A3100.  Build a case from some=20
scrap
> metal/wood/MDF or buy a generic case from somewhere and you have a=20
machine
> for less than =A3200 which will probably do video as well!
>=20
> Andy
> --
> PC-Based Multimedia System
> http://www.andylaurence.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pcbmms
> <http://www.andylaurence.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pcbmms>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> <http://www.automatedhome.co.uk>=20=20
> Post message: ukha_d@y...=20
> Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@y...=20
>=20
> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
Service.=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> This message is confidential and intended for the exclusive=20
> use of the addressee(s) only and remains the property of=20
> Exchange FS Group plc. You should not disclose its contents=20
> to any other person. If you are not the intended recipient=20
> please notify the sender named above immediately.
>=20
> Registered Office: Munro House, Portsmouth Road, Cobham,=20
> Surrey, KT11 1TE. Registered in England No. 2596452
>=20
>=20
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=09
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=3D216105.1806326.3318126.1261774/D=3Degroupweb/S=3D1=
7
050419
lrec/postholidaygroup/*http://shopping.yahoo
> .com/domain?d=3Dholiday&cf=3Dposthol01>=20=09
>=20=20
>=20
<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=3D216105.1806326.3318126.1261774/D=3Degr
oupmai