FW: [ACE] ACE changes coming

  • To: "ukha_d Egroup" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: FW: [ACE] ACE changes coming
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 17:13:58 -0000

From: ace-l@xxxxxxx [mailto:ace-l@xxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Dan Hoehnen
Sent: 04 January 2002 17:14
To: Ace List
Subject: [ACE] ACE changes coming

All,

There are a few changes that will happen soon.  First is a pricing
change.
All upgrades will now be $20, not $10.  For the rest of January, I will
honor the $10 client upgrade fee currently on the web page.  Starting
Feb 1,
it will be $20.

The max price of $100 has been removed.  If you get 5 clients and
ace-tts
and ace-ms, the total cost is now $120.  If there are any lurkers
considering buying ACE, I will honor the $100 max until the end of this
month.

This is not entirely in an effort to make more money.  The $100 max is
hard
to configure for an e-commerce setup and has generated a lot of emails
to me
asking what the price is.  And, $10 for an upgrade is just not enough
for
the work I put into ACE.

ACE Server version 4 will be released 1Q 2002.  At this time, I may
increase
the price, but to not more than $80.  I may also include 2 or 3 clients
with
this since I really am not trying to raise the overall price of ACE.
Again,
the price increase is just a POSSIBILITY.

The reason for a possible price increase will be due to increased
functionality in ACE Server.  The plan right now calls for scheduling of
actions (api commands), X-10 interface support (possible interfaces are:
CM11A, PowerLinc, Firecracker, LynX-10, HV, Omni, Comfort, Ocelot,
Stargate), and for non-X10 lighting support (ALC and possibly others).
The
scheduling will allow for very advanced schedules, such as "run this
api
command once every 5 minutes, only on every 3rd Tuesday of every month,
only
between 8am and 10am, but not on holidays".  The X-10 interface will
allow
for a common ACE api command to be used, but will be converted into the
proper format for the selected interface.  Thus, you would do something
like
this no matter which X-10 interface you have:  aces:x10:a,1,on

I am currently investigating several scheduling and X-10 interface
options
so nothing is in stone at this point.

The web pages will also get an entirely new look and feel in 1Q 2002.
This
is to reflect the new business offerings and to address the complaints I
have had over the years of the web site being hard to navigate and hard
determine what needs to be downloaded for each ACE module (which I
absolutely agree with).

Although not strictly ACE related, I can also now offer some hardware
for
sale (mostly Comfort and HomeVision controllers and accessories).  If
you
are in the market for a new toy and would like to help a fledgling
entrepreneur, I'd love the opportunity to beat your best price.  During
2002
I will have VERY competitive pricing.

Regards,
Dan Hoehnen, President