Re: quick advice for new home build

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: quick advice for new home build
  • From: "PatrickLidstone" <patrickl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 12:07:49 -0000

> 3. I will run two CT100 cables to each bedroom/living room. I have
> sky digital, VHF and UHF TV (i live in ireland). I have two
digiboxes
> at present, one irish, one UK for C4/C5/R5. I will probably have
one
> or two more in the future so a Loftbox may not be much good. I am
> awaiting Global DIP diplexers and triplexer wallplates to see how
> they work.

I would run at least three cables. This allows for set top box/DVD
etc. install in say the lounge, on the down feed, and return back to
node 0 for central distribution, plus distribution of cental feed
back to lounge for TV viewing. Cable is cheap after all. No doubt
Keith will have more to add.

And don't skimp on the Cat5 either - I'd run at least double what you
are planning. Mark H's philosophy of at least a couple of cables to
the corner of each room has a lot going for it.

> 4. I was going to have all cables come into the attic and use this
as
> my distribution point/patch panel. Should i run all the cables out
> the garage and make this node 0 or leave them in the attic and make
> this node 0. Expense is the question.

Easy access and availability of power is a pre-requisite for Node 0 -
so it depends on the design of your attic space.
If you think you might have one or more PC's at node 0, avoid extreme
temperatures & dusty environments.

> 5. Not sure about the Electrics. X-10 modules are expensive. If i
had
> 110V run to some points in the house would the cheaper US modules
> work given differences ie 50/60 HZ or 433 Mhz/418Mhz or PAL/NTSC?

I would have thought the cost of installing 110V runs would outweigh
the cost saving of buying US X-10 equipment. You may also have
trouble bridging the X-10 signal between the 110V and 240V circuits.
Simply not worth the hassle, IMO.

> Should i use the DIN rail X10 modules? are they mounted right next
> the circuit breakers?

Check out Mark M's AutomatedHome pages for details on what he did.
Yes, the modules go near the consumer unit generally. The wiring for
light switches is different from a conventional install. Using DIN
modules is the cleanest way to achieve control of ceiling rose
lighting using X-10.

> 6. I have a wireless alarm system from my old house, it was
installed
> in 1997 by Eircom's 'Phonewatch' and is stored in my attic (i'm
> renting at present).

Wireless alarms have a poor reputation for reliability generally.
Perhaps you could consider ditching it, and installing a hardwired
alarm. Comfort (www.comfort.org.uk) is well thought of.

HTH
Patrick