RE: [OT] Promise IDE Card

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Promise IDE Card
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:29:45 -0000

Yeah, guilty as charged!

I have had great results with the Promise Cards, and conversely, had
terrrible experiences (creeping data corruption, damaged FAT structures,
NTFS transaction corruption etc) with both the HPT366 and HPT370
Controllers.

My only thing would be: make sure the value controllers are not using
Highpoint Chipsets, as these are the problem. They just can't handle
throwing large amounts of data. (All corruption I have seen has been under
heavy load)

As a test, I copied two 300Mb AVI files from my PC to my Server, then back
and forth a couple of times.
after 1 generation of copy, the video had little glitches, and a couple of
audio pops. By the third generation, the corruption was so bad that the AVI
would no longer play.
Ian.