RE: [OT] Understanding speakers & watts.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Understanding speakers & watts.
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 15:11:00 -0000

I had great success in my "in car audio" days using good quality
and
high(ish) powered amps on line fit speakers. I had used 4 x 40w Rockford
Fosgate amps on speakers which were supposedly rated at 8w and never
blew one of them - even though they were used quite hard. They were
filtered to restrict the lower end of the frequency range as too much
bottom end through them would kill them as it ripped apart the
suspensions but that was about it.

On the other hand I have seen loads of speakers destroyed by using cheap
and crappy amps which when driven into clipping simply spend most of
their life putting out almost square wave DC (clipped AC waveforms)
which - as Keith has said - destroys tweeters in seconds and mid bass /
subwoofers in hours!

Phil

/IBOolB/TM