RE: [OT] Understanding speakers & watts.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Understanding speakers & watts.
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 14:07:54 -0000

> My assumption is that the speakers will be knackered if the volume is
> turned up too loud. Is that correct?

Yes, theoretically, but not "in real life".

The hard way to knacker hi-fi is to crank up the amp _all_ the way, and
blow them. This virtually never happens, except with 17 year olds and
electric guitars run through parents' stereos.

The easy way to knacker hi-fi is to have too SMALL an amp, and then find
yourself turning it up so far on the dial, that you end up driving it at
a higher current than it's actually rated at. You end up with the amp's
output circuitry clipping, and things going "bang."

Unless you are into all-night grunge parties, or live so far away from
your neighbours that an estate car is required to visit them, I wouldn't
be too worried ;-)

Seriously, I would ALWAYS go for an amp rated HIGHER than the speakers!

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher