Re: Generators

Whereas this is a great idea, there is a big gotch for those who think they
are going to have "whole house mains" from a genny.

Almost all those gennys with a blue C17 240V socket on them produce power a
little different to "normal" household mains.  The earth is not
the same as
neutral, they produce 240V as twice 120V with a centre tap.  Normal mains
has N and E the same, and L is 240V higher.  Some smaller gennys with
"ordinary" 13A sockets are also wired this way.

Why is this important?  When you connect you genny to your house power, you
MUST ensure you are double pole isolated (both L and N) from street power.
Otherwise, you have a direct short across one half of the genny through the
N to E bonding the electricity board provide.  Also, normally a N to E
short
goes unnoticed (unless through an RCD, whcih will trip), but with a genny a
N to E short is bad.  Thus you need a double pole MCB in the genny feed.

Theres no problems, just do it correctly.  And dont use a "suicide
cable"
with a plug at each end to connect the genny to the house!!!