RE: Re: Ceiling Lights & Local Control

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Ceiling Lights & Local Control
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:57:09 -0000

Doogie,

Is it two-way switching?

Steve is correct in the way that they are normally wired only in a
modern build it is normally what they call three-ply or three-plate
wiring IIRC.

Basically, the switch is on a standard piece of T&E with the neutral
used as the live return to operate the light/device. What this means is
that you can end up a bit confused quite easily.

Check which L & N are connected to the light, then look back along the
block and you can almost always figure out how the sparky has done it
originally. You should be able to see the way the cables come into the
fitting, there will be three T&E's IIRC, one for the switch, one for
the
feed and one that feeds to the next device in the chain from memory.

What you want to end up with is the switch wires across the momentary
and the live & neutral feed that was originally to the light feeding
the
LD11 the rest can be joined with a junction box or similar.

I hope that's clear, if you have any hassles mail me off-list or give me
a call and I'll try and talk you through it.

HTH

K.

wrote:
> > As for wiring, well if you are going to use an LD11 you need
> momentary
> > contact at the switch anyway so just use the existing switch wire
> to the
> > fitting and change the configuration accordingly.
>
> (at home with the pesky web interface... man those ads are annoying!)
>
> Kenneth.....
>
> Seeing as you've done this and all.... :D
>
> Popped the cover off ceiling rose tonight, and it has a T&E coming
> from above.... the earth goes to the metal plate thing, and the
L&N
> go to the metal block bits where the light screws into terminals
> adjacent to them...... I'm just trying to work out exactly what goes
> where in the LD11..... I think I expected to see more wires up there
> or something.... :S I took the switch which is currently connected to
> this off... it has 3 red (I'm making no assumptions about what's
L&N

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/