Home auto and emc

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Home auto and emc
  • From: "Paul Helliwell" <g0kao@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:03:43 -0000

Me again

    I am thinking about dipping toe into this area having read a bit and studied a bit in the past but main concerns are ...

1)   I am a radio amateur and i am concerned about interference both to the radio gear from whatever is     used i,e. mains borne interference from X10 or other similar types, and unfortunately I have to exclude     rf based stuff unless it operates up in the Gigahertz range of frequencies, (i dont anticipate operating     above 440Mhz) or interference from me to the controlling devices.

2)    Considering point 1 what would be the best way to make a tentative dip at minimal cost?

3)    My main areas of interest perhaps lie in the use of pic chips and maybe if i could get some Dallas     1-wire bits to play with which leads me to where is the best place preferably uk based to get hold         of Dallas stuff?  I already have PIC development software and a programmer.

I have moved into a 1960 bungalow which has recently had a dormer conversion so not much in way of accessible loft space and have already done some rewiring so at this stage its development time although having just run som cat5 to lightswitch controlling 3 lots of lights this might be first place where testing could be done hence the need to use something small such as described in point 2.

I have almost had to rebuild and should really have taken this into account first but pressure from swmbo to get finished has not really given me chance.

sorry its a bit long

    Regards
                Paul