RE: Telephone Over Cat5

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Telephone Over Cat5
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:05:05 +0000

I'm aproximately half-way through that list at the moment.

BUT- bear in mind that in most houses the loft floor is NOT designed to be
load-bearing, so you should not put lots of weight on the joists, - they
will sag. If you're lucky, the worst that will happen is that the movement
will crack the ceilings below.

A fully populated 42U rack, with UPS, a couple of servers and so on, is
VERY
heavy! - I would not want that weight sitting on as little as 2 or 3
adjacent joists....

I plan to construct a 19" rack out of 2x2 timber using the existing
roof
timbers (2" x 9" 's) as supports... You can buy the punched
rack-strip that
takes the captive bolts from Screwfix, then you can use standard rack-mount
hardware (patch panels, shelves and so on).

Just a thought....

Paul G.