RE: OT: ADSL

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: ADSL
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:27:42 -0000

Title: OT: ADSL

Hardware options seem to be from seg.co.uk or are there any better offers out there?

James what did you get and what's the verdict?  Would preferably like something with a built in firewall so that I have a bit of peace of mind, but built in hub isn't too important as I presume I can just uplink to my existing hubs - is this correct.

I got Eclispe 500LITE (which should hopefully be much cheaper from April) plus the Asus 6000BI router from www.solwise.co.uk  This one has a built in 4 port switch (uplinked to my hub), but with the 6000EV you will need to uplink it.

I went for the switch because when my 802.11b WAP arrives it will go on there rather than my hub.

The Asus 6000 supports port forwarding (I can run a website - email me privately if you want a look and I'll give you the URL) and IP filtering.  There are some security issues with IP filtering if it loses power - but a firmware update is on the cards for March.  Whether this addresses these issues I can't tell you.  Several others on this list have the same combination and will undoubtedly give you their opinions.

Apart >from everything's tickety-boo.  I was up and running in less than 10 minutes :)  The Asus configuration is via TELNET or a web page (easy) and Solwise provide a quick start guide.  The Solwise chap was quite helpful in helping me to track down the problem, even though it wasn't router related (a legacy from WinRoute/56K modem combination I was using previously it turned out).

Seg seem to offer excellent customer service, but my opinions are based on Solwise as I haven't dealt with Seg.

Last thing anybody want their name on the referred by box on the eclipse order form?

ME :) Although I don't believe it's worth anything at the moment.

James H

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor