Re: Does the world.....

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Does the world.....
  • From: "Stuart Booth" <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:02:58 -0000
On 22 Feb 02, at 14:37, James, Daniel wrote:

> ....think we are all mad...?

My father couldn't understand my interest in this HA stuff, when it
can easily be done manually. At the time however he was setting
up some lamps around the house on timers so that they would
come on automatically at dusk to help make the house look
occupied.

He even had one setup via 2 adapters. One provided an ON
between a set Start Time and End Time, whilst the 2nd, in series,
randomised the light so that it changed mode during this set time.

I pointed out that here he was *automating his house* despite
thinking my own slightly more sophisticated interests were
unnecessary. I suggested that wouldn't it be nice if the house went
into this automatic 'house occupied' mode whenever he set the
alarm on his way out of the house, rather than scrabbling around
trying to find all the bits and positioning all the lamps?

I believe I won the argument on that point.

So yes, I get this kind of "What the...?" reaction too, but a few
sample applications suggested to suit the other person often
swings them around to at least a modest amount of interest.

I wonder if, like HiFi and HomeCinema I have found, you're either
really into it, or just aren't bothered and don't see the point??

I guess your brain is either wired a certain way and this stuff just
naturally inspires you, or it takes a bit of effort to come round to a
new idea.

How many folks here saw the Fujitsu Tablets as a fantastic
opportunity? I think Gareth's 235 units ordered indicates that we all
mostly did !! Those folks I've mentioned them to have pretty much
all got excited at the idea too. Interestingly those that did get
excited are just the folks that 'get' Home Automation, and that was
why I mentioned it.

Stuart