RE: [ukha_d] Tivo for £199 inc VAT and Next Day Delivery

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Tivo for £199 inc VAT and Next Day Delivery
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:44:19 -0000

I'm yet to be convinced. I'd say that three or four times a week there
are at least two programs on different channels I want to watch - and I
don't see how a tivo will get around that whereas a Sky+ box will.

There is a firmware update on the way which will allow simultaneous
recording of more than one channel (I'm told it is theoretically
possible to record the entire output of a single transponder, albeit
limited to either horizontal or vertical polarisation).

Given that I don't actually own a terrestrial tuner - and prefer the
16:9 output of digital feeds on my plasma I still don't see what a tivo
will give me.

It seems to me to be an automated single channel timeshifter. Given that
most people I know use a Digibox as their single source of TV it has a
huge limitation.

I do realise that its software is way in advance of that you get with
Sky+, but in order to be of any real use in today's digital age it
really does need to be able to record multiple channels - which it
can't.

Tim.