RE: Power triggering

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Power triggering
  • From: Andy Bovingdon <bov@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:51:45 +0000

At 02:48 PM 13-02-02 +0000, you wrote:
> > You are looking at either replacing the current TV remote
>[...]
> > an IR "come out of standby" signal - you say not a
Pronto..... I'm not

>The problem for SWMBO is that with these multi device remotes, you have
>select the correct device on the remote, hunt for the button that is
>currently defined as 'on' (or scroll to the panel with the 'on' button
if
>using the pronto), press it, realise you want to watch SKY, switch to
>controlling sky box etc....  far easier (to her) to pick up TV remote
and
>hit the bid reg button, then pick up the Sky remote and hit the 'SKY'
button
>etc.....
>So it's not that she doesn't like the Pronto per se, she doesn't like
_any_
>of these multifunction remotes (eg remote angel, one-4-all etc that I
went
>thru before finding pronto).

Ah - you need to set the pronto up specifically for her. With mine
you first select the room you are in (until I get the Fuji) then
select what you want to do - "sky" for example. It turns all the
things on, sets the lights and so on. The volume and channel buttons
then do the rest. If the electronic guide is needed there is a button
that changes to navigation and sends the right sky IR command.

After a while it actually becomes hard to use the normal remotes
because you forget which things need to be turned on and set to
which settings.

This also allows me to slip new things in quietly ;-) as long as
the buttons do the same thing nobody knows there is a new DVD
player or sound processor...

ANDREW  BOVINGDON   Tarantella,  Vision Park   Tel: +44 7768 877170
Director,       Cambridge,  CB4 9ZR,  UK   Fax: +44 1223 518001
Product Marketing      www.tarantella.com       bov@xxxxxxx