Re: RS232 or RF X10?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: RS232 or RF X10?
  • From: Martin Greenwood <martin@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:18:48 +0000

At 21:54 12/02/2002 +0000, Timothy Morris wrote:
>Either use AD10s and LD10s together with X10 RF keypads with some form
of
>Automation controller to fire off macros, or go the whole hog and
install
>some form of Lutron hard-wired system.

I have gone for LD10/11 units and they work well.
In rooms I have momentary Clipsal switches on the wall.
I use the 8x2 way RF keypad to send RF to TM12, as it is small and it is
easy. i.e. whenever you pick it up you can directly control a light.
Also you can write on it which light is which so you don't have to remember
numbers.
I have also got an X10 RF remote that also learns other remotes. But this
is too complicated for normal use!!
(Although it has one very useful button, all lights off which is useful at
bedtime.)

This is all without a controller. AND has been totally reliable since
installation (6 months)

The disadvantage is that in rooms with several lights it is not possible to
execute scenes
Obviously with a controller or PC I could 'reprogram' the RF controls to
achieve this.
However this introduces lag as X10 from TM12 goes to controller and then
X10 comes back out to light.
Also it adds complexity.

All I really need is a better RF unit.
It needs to support X10 preset controls which are understood by LD11 but
not by all lamp modules.
Also to perform sequences of comands.

Anyone know of a simple reprogrammable X10 RF remote (not a learning
remote). Or is this a new project!!!

Martin