Re: SMS Hardware

On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 13:03, andy_powell_is wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on the lookout for some hardware (SMS Modem?) that will allow me
> to send SMS messages from a Server via a command line utility. The
> device must /not/ have the ability to receive phone calls, ideally it
> should be capable of ONLY sending SMS messages.
>
> anyone got any ideas?

Just done this at work.  Used linux and a program called "sms
client"
(http://www.styx.demon.co.uk/).
 Does as already suggested and dials the
mobile phone providers directly (normally 077xxx number) using a modem
and communicates using the protocol.  Many providers are supported,
cellnet, vodaphone, orange.  Any old modem should do because the
protocol is so slow. e.g. vodaphone at work is 1200 baud !!!

I can give you my web front end if you like.

--
Phil