Re: parcel delivery boxes

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: parcel delivery boxes
  • From: "graham_howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:18:19 -0000

I have been toying with the idea of using an electric lock on my
conservatory door connected to Comfort for unattended deliveries. The
conservatory was added by the previous owner and does not provide
access to the house (there is a locked 'exterior' door leading from
the house to the conservatory). The overall scenario would be as
follows:

1. Delivery man comes to the front door and presses the button on the
doorphone.

2. Comfort is in away mode and so calls me on my mobile phone.

3. I answer the phone and talk to the delivery man as if I were there.

4. I tell the delivery man to leave the goods in the conservatory.

5. I press a button on my mobile phone which triggers comfort to
release the lock on the conservatory door (not sure about this once I
am in conversation through door phone).

6. Delivery man deposits goods inside conservatory and takes a
delivery confirmation receipt that has been left there.

7. 5 minutes after Comfort detects that the door has closed it is
then locked again (this allows for door closing between boxes in a
multiple box drop).

Optionally I could record the whole episode on video in case of
disputes.

I believe all of this is possible, though would need to confirm
sending a DTMF command to comfort during the call from the doorphone.
The only reason I haven't tried it is that I have a complete toy
buying embargo in place at the moment. It is not possible to miss a
delivery if you have not ordered anything. Once I am in the position
to place orders again then I will almost certainly investigate this
approach. I would also consider the garage/workshop as an alternative
to the conservatory, but that would entail giving the delivery man
access to all my power tools which could be too much of a temptation.
At least with the conservatory there is nothing inside worth nicking.

Regards

Graham