Re: NEW ukha project

Keith,

I'm using Siteplayer (along with basicx) to develop a web automatable
intelligent thermostat for our central heating. This has been a rather
delayed project due to having to work. However, I've now solved that one,
and hence have more time to spend on home automation ;-) Hence the increase
in interest from me in the talk about embedded processors. Once I've got
the
thermostat side working it occurred that it might then be fairly easy to
extend it to operate as an embedded web interface for our Comfort alarm
system (i.e. no requirement to run a PC web server).

I bought the development kit for Siteplayer, which means it comes
pre-packaged on a board with an RJ45 socket. For my one off project I would
stick with my development board.

It sounds like Siteplayer will do exactly what you want. Only two points
come to mind: your device has to speak the language of the Siteplayer for
querying data - you can't program Siteplayer to issue specific RS232
strings
used
a fixed IP, or to use DHCP - I've not yet deduced a simple way to determine
what IP address has been allocated to the Siteplayer when it uses DHCP.

HTH, Ray Barnett.

p.s. Stuart - the Rabbit sounds interesting to me. The development kit is a
bit on the pricey side to make it a simple purchase decision to me, but the
idea about it being a single replacement for BasicX+Siteplayer+RJ45 does
appeal - I have plenty of other projects I can put the combination to use
once I've finished the thermostat.