RE: Looking for hints on speech generation (not synthesis)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Looking for hints on speech generation (not synthesis)
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:05:19 -0000

David,

I've been thinking on this email for the last couple of weeks, and still
haven't come up with a decent solution. So here are some rambling
thoughts...

Linguists tends to assume that languages are based around axiomatic
semantics. IT people tend to think in terms of denotational semantics,
and the models continue to be virtually impossible to reconcile.

As I see things, this question is bound up with (from a people end)
cognitive psychology, and (from an IT end) with AI.

There are a number of reference works on AI, which are obviously more
about the _understanding_ of natural language.  The traditional tool is
one called Lisa, which was originally implemented in common LISP back in
the 70s/80s. (Google search: "Lisa LISP")

There's still a lot of debate in AI circles about whether
"understanding" is necessary for meaningful AI. Turing obviously
postulated one theory about intelligence (Google searach: "Turing
Test")

Roger Penrose (professor of Maths at Oxford) believes that it is, and
that furthermore, a deterministic Von Neumann architecture is
fundamentally incompatable with "intelligence." His book
"The Emperor's
New Mind" is worth a read if you've got time.

However, I disagree with his central premise. I don't believe that
non-determinism is an absolute requirement to model conciousness.
However, I do agree that any congnitive model that simulates _human_
understanding involves an inherent parallelism an order of magnitude
above what is simulatable in real-time with current processors.=20

The best book I've ever read on this (conciousness, NOT the IT modelling
of it) is "conciousness explained" by Daniel Dennett, which is
_seriously_ worth reading.

Answers to your Home Automation Problem - NO.
Interesting things to read to keep your life busy - YES.

:-)

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher