Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 8:37 PM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] [OT ish] ADSL Filter / ADSL Modem

For a BT installed ADSL there  will be a filter in the Linebox that will filter the ADSL carrier from ALL phones in the house.

As I understand "WIRES ONLY ADSL" to be, BT supply you the ADSL service by jumpering up the line in the local exchange but do not visit the premises. As they do not visit there is no filter, hence the term "WIRES ONLY".

This means that the ADSL carrier will appear at all sockets in the house therefore each phone will require a filter, as Ian said in his original post, he has Comfort and a PBX therefore all his phones are fed from a single point on the BT line. If he fits a filter before Comfort it should work OK and filter all the phones in one hit.

I stand by my original statement that for a normally wired house where ALL the phone sockets are connected to the line you would need to filter each phone individually ( but you would be able to plug the ADSL modem in wherever you wanted as the carrier would be everywhere).

Ian does not need individual filters provided he filters the line before Comfort.

The above comments are based on my work with other carrier based systems as I cant yet have ADSL.

Did have some slightly good news yesterday...... the nearest ADSL enabled exchange is only 20 miles from me rather than the 50 miles it was before christmas. Things are looking up....SLOWLY :-(

Keith