RE: Fujitsu Tablets : The Latest Story...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Fujitsu Tablets : The Latest Story...
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:40:51 -0000

You were had! The correct rate of duty for DDARs is 2%. This is on the
basis that they are Hi-Fi playback equipment (misc.) - ie without any
recording facility.

Of course, you still pay VAT at 17.5%, which is the bulk of the tax.

I have to say that I believe you should all think VERY carefully BEFORE
asking a supplier to help you defraud Her Majesty's Government.

As for the person who said "paying VAT on second-hand goods
stinks", I
assume that you therefore would prefer to pay a higher rate of income
tax ;-)

The issue for me is how our Government SPEND the money, not on which
form(s) of taxation they use to raise it... I'd rather see less money
wasted, and would be happier to pay more tax if I believed it was
actually going to things like paying nurses/teachers/police a decent
wage, rather than to Tony's Cronys.

One other point - given that we're paying import duty on the UK side, is
there any way that we can reclaim the export duty from the American tax
system? I object to paying tax to Mr. Bush even more than to Mr. Blair
;-)

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher