RE: OT : Plumbing help as well

I am intending to put in the drainage heat recovery shower system on the
upstairs showers (main showers).  As I understand it some guys up the
road from me hold patents on the idea and sell the "GFX" units.  I
visited them and noted the following:
1) You need around 750mm vertical drop somewhere - can't be horizontal
since the outgoing waste water needs to spiral down a wide pipe and
"stick" to the inside edges of this copper pipe.
2) You can run more than one shower through one exchanger but if both
showers are run together efficiency drops and I guess the system may not
reach equilibrum as quickly and will change when one shower stops?
3) According to them it takes around 30seconds for equilibrum to be
obtained.
4) We are going to use it with solar heating which will be a nice
combination - not much good in the UK I guess :-)

I also visited a house where the guy had installed a "home brew" heat
recovery system both for ventilation and waste water.  For waste water
he extracted the heat into water using a heat exchanger (water pump
operated via temp sensor) and had a secondary storage water tank to
store it.

Actually his ventilation heat exchangers weren't home brew IRC.  However
he lived in a closed up airtight house with very controlled extraction.
Humidity inside was very low and no dust inside.  However I decided this
wasn't the way I wanted to live with much of the year we like to have
doors open to the outside world.  Depends on climate and type of living
I guess.

Cheers
Shane

List of UKHA Groups here -