Building Node0

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Building Node0
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:49:13 -0000

With my new job comes lots of holiday.  This means I'm off work most o= f next
week (and this week).  I plan to cable the house, and build my new Nod= e0.
Newey and Eyre do cheap CAT5 and coax, and have been good to me before.
Being the cheapskate I am, I'd rather not splash out on a proper rack (=A32= 00
in the catalogue).  I've seen posts from people who bought just the st= rips
down the side.  Where can I get them, and are they significantly cheap= er?
Also, if anyone knows of somewhere I can get patch panels for less than
=A360/16 port, =A370/24, =A3110/32, =A3145/48 new or old, let me know.

As for the cabling, after cabling up a georgian house in the country earlie= r
this month (I will take photos when I go back - too busy this time), I thin= k
I can cope with my house.  I'm fortunate enough to have a basement and= attic
to route cables through.  Is there anything I should take note of when= doing
all this?  Here's what I plan to run to each room...

Lounge:
4x CAT5 behind TV
1x coax behind TV
2x CAT5 to each corner beside sofas

Kitchen:
2x CAT5 to end cupboard
1x coax to end cupboard
1x CAT5 to work surface

Bedroom 1:
1x CAT5 above bed
1x CAT5 to TV
1x coax to TV

Bedroom 2:
none - easily accessible from loft at any time

Bedroom 3:
none - no autonmation planned in the medium term.

Bathroom:
none - not easy to get to, and nothing planned any time soon.

Does this look OK to people?  I plan to have all my equipment in node0= ,
distributed via coax now, and eventually KAT5.  We have a TV in the lo= unge,
and bedroom 1, plus plan to have one in the kitchen.  There is a wirel= ess
network in place for data.  I plan to implement an IR distribution sys= tem
based from a server.  I'm leaning towards FIRM, and Autom8it.  Wh= en a good
looking X10 light switch is released, I'll use X10.  I am severely tem= pted
to modify a standard light switch, though.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Andy (taping up knuckles)