From: Sullivan, Glenn [mailto:gsullivan@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 04 December 2002 13:53
To: 'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] MP3 Backup

Ben,

With the abundant availability of S/PDIF digital out soundcards (and I
don't mean the SBLive, but that would do in a pinch) the digital bits
are going to get to the digital input on my system the same as if they
had been read off a CD and piped though a digital out of my CD player
and into the system.  My own linn kivor for a 12th of the price, and I=
can build my own interfaces if I want. ;-)

But I agree in general... most people I have seen using their computers
for a jukebox are using analog outputs.  It is damn near impossible to=
have a good quality DA converter built into such a small, RFI-ridden
location.  In those cases, the benefits of a lossless compression sche= me
are nill.

My $.02,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.