RE: Re: xAP - The Proposed Architecture Explained - the first extensio

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: xAP - The Proposed Architecture Explained - the first extensio
  • From: "BUTLER, Tony, FM" <roaming@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:56:02 +0100

> If the embedded device doesn't have an XML parser, then why send the
> text as XML? You either implement XML *properly* or not at all. A

Intelligent devices could do XML "properly" and do all sorts of whizzy
transformations.
It was the embedded devices that may not be able to cope that could perhaps
get away with text searching.
> half-baked "text searching" based algorithm will, at some point,
> break horribly when another device makes a perfectly valid change to
> the XML structure of their message.

Maybe, but not necessarily.  Depends on how well it is coded.  Worst case
should be that it ignores it as a message not recognised.
You would have the same problem if the proprietary messaging system
developed had to have a change in the message structure or an andditional
field added.

> And whilst XML defines the grammar of a message, it doesn't define
> the structure in terms of the "policy" (addressing etc) that devices
> need in order to make sense of the message. This means that "any old"

Very true, but this is the case with any system you decide upon.

> As I've said before, there is nothing magical about XML. In addition
> to the policy element, you need add code to do the broadcast bit, so
> the "open" bit of the argument doesn't count for much at all in the
> end.
>
> A well conceived, open API, with support for say Linux, Win32, Basic
> Stamp, PIC and Rabbit, should provide the platform independence we
> are looking for. As Mark has commented previously, this code should
> be fairly light, so it's not a insurmountable task.

You're right, there is nothing magical about XML - but it _is_ platform and
protocol independent, extensible, there are tools, open source code etc etc
available on many platforms......
It seems to me that the wheel has already been invented, so why not use it?
Apart from the increased message size, what are the main reasons _not_ to
use it?

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
Regulated by the Financial Services Authority

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor