-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Harrison
Sent: 13 August 2002 20:50
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Displays around the house - volunteers please?

Cheers Q, you da man!

-----Original Message-----
From: Quinten Uijldert [mailto:yahoogroups@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 13 August 2002 19:34
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Displays around the house - volunteers please?

> OK - let's ask for some volunteers, using my traditional technique of
naming the "dream team" and seeing if they'll agree :-)

> 2) Find a way of mount the display in some sort of nice SWMBO approved
panel

> - Stuart? You again? Quinten "the stand king"?

Shouldn't that be "the one night stand king" ;-) ?

No problem for me to take this on, but it does depend on LCD/VFD dimensions,
so Stuart, get that arse in gear and decide what to go for ;-)  My personal
favourite would be 4x20 for LCD or 2x20 for VFD, but since we go serial,
size really doesn't matter, as it is modular and allows everyone to pick
whatever they prefer/can afford.

> 3) Connect the display using serial (if thats what the display has) to
your
> PC.  You can use your existing CAT5 leads for this.
>
> - Ian Bird? Can I twist your arm?

I have this at the moment using a 2x20 LCD from Milford Instruments and all
it requires is pin 3 (Tx) on serial port, +5V and GND... Contrast is done
through a simple pot on the back of the serial driver board.

> 4) Develop some simple software to display "hello world" messages
>
> - Stuart, I think you have most of this already?

For Linux there is lcdproc, for windows LCD Smartie (amongst others).  Most
LCDs/VFDs come with full instruction set and are *very* easy to drive.

Q.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor