Re: Displays round the house - architecture...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Displays round the house - architecture...
  • From: "PatrickLidstone" <patrickl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:40:26 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Ian Lowe" <ian@w...> wrote:
> I can see what you are saying, but we have been through *exactly
the same*
> series of developments before.

[snip]

> Get some display systems working over D.A.F. Serial, you can add a
> siteplayer interface on the front as a stepping stone...
>
> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE prove me wrong if you think I am, but *think*
about it
> first guys, this has happened before.

It's doesn't have to be either-or!

Use serial displays, with the option of connecting them to a
siteplayer/rabbit/whatever ethernet interface. If the serial displays
also support multidrop, you end up with a scenario where multiple
displays in the same proximity can be driven from a single ethernet
interface, reducing costs further.

Then leave the software to bridge the networks & make the physical
topology transparent to the end user...

>From a hardware perspective, this then becomes a very simple project -
displays can be sourced ready built, possibly requiring a small
daughter board to support multi-drop. Adding rabbit hardware is
trivial - it only takes the addition of a single MAX232 to do serial
level conversion to support a single display, or another daughter
board to do multi-drop.

Patrick

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor