Re: Cheap control + whole house display

> Hardware
> A Palm V connected via serial to a siteplayer which in turn connects t= o
> a standard 10Mb TCP network. Serial is fine for a single device but I<= BR> > wanted at least 10 so a standard IP network has to be the way to go. > This will allow for wall mounting or desk or handheld use as all the > hardware is fairly small.

Excellent, so those with CAT5 already can place them wherever?  How bi= g is
the siteplayer module?  Just wondering for a tabletop mount!

> How it works
> When a button is pushed a UDP packet is sent out, the VB server picks = up
> on this and sends out via http a new screen to the palm to be
> displayed.  It also sends a dde/udp message if set for the presse= d
> button.

That's a good plan.  Would the hard buttons work too?  The scroll= buttons
wouold make a useful dimmer/volume/whatever control.

> Speed
> About .6 sec from pushing a button to a new screen being fully
> displayed.  I guess a newer faster palm would improve on this a b= it, but
> not by much

I'd class that as utterly acceptable.  About enough time to blink befo= re
something happens.

> Cost (very guesstimate)
> Palm - =A350 ish for a second hand visor
> siteplayer - =A320
> serial inverter - =A35?
> cat5 filter - =A34
> So the cost is reasonable and as it doesn;t matter if the palm is new = or
> old ,palm/handspring/sony, availability should be good for 2nd hand.
Well under =A3100 then, especially considering my Palm V cost me just =A330= ,
and older Palms are even cheaper.  What's the minimum spec for the Pal= m?

> Next????
> As it stands it works which is a good start. So I will probably go on<= BR> > tinkering with it but don't know if the idea is one that others might<= BR> > like to use or one to stay in my head!,  so what do you all think= ??

I'll take 5!  Seriously though, this sounds like a better plan than th= e
VFD screens for my application (other people may not agree).  I would = love
a system like this that I could use to expand my HA environment.  I suppose it'll mean I need to get my CAT5 installed though.

> Ps.  *nix users should easily be able to replace the server for a= non VB
> one as all comms are done by standard protocols.

That's great.  Saves all the OS wars that sometimes crop up here.

Andy
--
Building a community network for Bristol
http://consume.andylaurence.c= o.uk - updated 06/08

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk