Re: PIC development advice

--- In ukha_d@y..., steve.cooper@u... wrote:

> I'm looking to get into PIC programming and I know a few of you are
> involved with this.
>
> What I'm after is a recommendation for a development board and
programming
> software.  Also any good books or website would be useful.
>
> S.

Hi Steve,

I've been playing with PICs for quite a while, and using a cheap
programmer I bought from Magenta electronics :-

http://www.magenta2000.co.uk/kits/862.htm

A friend of mine also built a really simple programmer which works
with most of the 16F flash devices, and I'll dig out the URL for it
when I get home tonight.

The development tools are free from Microchip's site :-

http://www.microchip.com/1010/pline/tools/picmicro/devenv/mplabi/index
.htm

I haven't used any of the high-level languages (C or Basic) since I'm
an old hand at assembler programming, but there are a few compilers
available if you want to try them.

I prefer assembler since you've got a lot more control of what's
going on, and can usually write tighter and smaller code.  It's not
everyone's cup of tea though :-)

David P.

PS - my current project is a camera switcher and security light
controller which might be of interest to some folks.  I'll make the
design and code available once it's finished.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor