RE: pissed off

Hi Nik,

I havent commented until now but here are my thoughts......

I AM getting pissed off by some of the comments being made and the lack of support for some members of the list. I wasnt particularly offended by your comment as I am aware that I am well behind schedule with my development plans.

I have always designed and built my own bits of kit to suit my needs and it is encouraging to see other members of the list tackling their own projects and making the results available to others.

It can be a soul destroying task trying to get something working, either hardware or software, but the buzz when it finally comes together is superb. People need ENCOURAGEMENT for what they are doing. The only acceptable forms of negative feedback are reports of the project not doing what it was INTENDED to do, NOT slating someones efforts because it wasnt designed to do what you want it to do. Most of the projects under development have been discussed at the design stage with progress reports during protoyping, this means that people have had plenty of opportunities to add their input.

The reason for homebrew projects is primarily the lack of a commercial equivalent or not being able to afford the commercial offerings. For that reason alone, it is obvious that the designer would build it to fully meet his/her needs. The ability to also accomodate the wishes of others is a bonus but it should be remembered that it is still the designers OWN needs that take priority.

Ian's work on the IR repeater has made fantastic progress from the humble beginnings of Nigels circuit and ideas that I gave to Ian based on my own experiments with bi-directional IR. He has also gone on to create several other useful gizmo's using self taught PIC programming skills (plus a few late night phone calls to me)

Frank has also spent a lot of time developing his IR zoning system which although I havent followed it too closely I can see exactly what he is designing. To me, his system seems a viable system utilising the power of HomeVision for the complex task of decoding and transmiting IR and controlling the switching circuitry that does the actual zoning. Porting this to another intelligent IR system should be relatively simple.

Graham and Andy have also done some great work with HomeAutomator, again HomeVision centric at the moment but designed to accomodate whatever hardware someone has at a later date

Developing HA hardware/software requires two main things....

1. the technical ability

2. the infrastructure to develop for.

If you own a HomeVision that would be the obvious platform that you would initially develop for.

I am WELL AWARE that my own KAT5 development is behind schedule but things always take much longer than anticipated to get through the design stage. Mark McCall saw the first KAT5 prototypes in January 1998 but it was May 2001 until it was actually launched. The switcher is far more complex than the basic KAT5 units and the last thing I want is to release a unit that does not perform in the way that I want it to.

I am making every effort to get the KAT5 switcher finished as early as possible but please remember that this is my HOBBY. I have a day job that pays the bills but keeps me away from home for 12 hours per day. I also have a Wife and 5 year old daughter who like to see me occasionally.

...... anyway, thats how I currently feel.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv