Mini Rant was RE: Re: Hv multizone ir system Costing

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Mini Rant was RE: Re: Hv multizone ir system Costing
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:51:57 +0100

You make a good point Graham, however, I feel I must object slightly...

to a certain extent, those of us who simply do not *have the ability* to
help in these sort of projects are at the mercy of those who can.

You saw my response at London to the HomeAutomator software, and I stand by
that initial reaction. wow. it would be truly wonderful, and I could really
use it to great effect here. BUT, it is homevision specific, hence, I can't
use it at all, and I can't contribute to developing it across for the CM12,
because I do not know where to start. I have no clue how to program these
things, and don't even know what language it is written in! the learning
curve for me to even *start* contributing is more like a cliff from here.

As for the IR situation, I have encountered more frustration than you can
imagine with Girder and the UIRT hardware. it does 99% of what I need. The
only thing missing is multi-zoning, however, after asking anyone with a
pulse on the Girder forums, or in person, no-one who is *able* to help is
*willing* to help. The UIRT formware source is not available, so you need to
reverse engineer the whole thing, efectively designing again from scratch.
The fairly simple idea of using the extra pins on the PIC and modding the
Girder plug-in require, in practice, a lot of knowledge I do not posess.
Without learning PIC programming, re-learning elecronics, and spending a lot
of time repeating the work others have already done, because they won't
share, I can't do squit about it.

I think what I am trying to say is: just as it's frustrating for the
designers to get no feedback or interaction, it's frustrating to see systems
getting more bells and whistles, when all you really want is the basic,
simplistic, vanilla functionality...

Personally, I would love to help with these things, I simply do not know how
to do so. :(

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor