Re: Hv multizone ir system Costing

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Hv multizone ir system Costing
  • From: "graham_howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 11:51:19 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Nikola Kasic" <nikola@k...> wrote:
> That's much clearer now.
> But what's the advantage of using stick-on emitters with splitter
over
> blaster. They will all send the same signal anyway (if splitters
are not
> intelligent in some way)?
> Just more wiring. I thought that you use stick-on emitters when you
have two
> pieces of same equipment i.g. two sky settop boxes, so then you
change
> program on one it will not change it on the other. But if you have
plain
> splitter, it will send the same signal on both, so no much
difference from
> using a blaster.
> Nik

You are of course correct, but there is the possibility of more than
one zone in the same physical location. To give a specific example, I
have always been a fan of Arcam gear, and I never chuck stuff out, so
I currently have an Alpha 10 setup in my lounge and an AV50 (older AV
amp) in my office (also node zero). Once I get IR distribution and
other stuff sorted, I intend to house almost all kit in node zero and
distribute signals via KAT5. But this will mean that I have two sets
of Arcam gear (using the same IR commands) that relate to different
zones, but which would both pick up a blaster signal.

I know that Andy Powell will have an identical (though more zones I
think) situation. In fact there is a positive advantage to this
approach, it means that HomeVision doesn't have to remember so many
IR codes (it can only store 256) if all zones use the same kit.

Regards

Graham

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor