RE: just to say hello!

Hi Simon,

Welcome aboard :-)

How much does it cost ?

...how much have you got ???? and then add a bit.

It costs whatever you are prepared to spend. If you are weak-willed then
membership of this list will suck all the money out of your account in an
instant due to constant posting about "bargains".

Buy or Build ?

Depends on desires, bank balance and ability. There is a mixture of "off the
shelf" hardware and software as well as a fair amount of homebrew
software/hardware. Some of the homebrew stuff is done because it is cheaper,
some of it is done because the required features/products just arent
available commercially.

Everyone has different needs so develop their own systems to give the
features they want although there is a great deal of common ground between
many of them.

You will quickly find that this list has a wealth of information in ANY area
of Home Automation, Home Entertainment, Home Networking that you could need.

There is sometimes a lot of information on Cars, Cheesy Chips and other way
off topic stuff as well but lets not go there :-)

Have Fun.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv